Lymphedema Therapy Rehabilitation
NB Physical Therapy, Louisville, Colorado
If you have swelling in your arms or legs, NB Physical Therapy can help you with lymphedema therapy rehabilitation. A licensed therapist will first provide a full evaluation and then design a personal treatment regimen that will include simple exercises along with compression bandaging or stockings if your condition requires it. We will also educate you on self-care techniques you can do at home.
Another therapy we may recommend is a highly effective home compression pump, which is very often covered by your insurance. We are experienced at working with insurance providers on paying for this piece of equipment and can make the arrangements for you.
What is Lymphedema?
Most often affecting the arms or legs, lymphedema is the excessive and irregular swelling of the body that consists of protein-rich fluids. Lymphedema is due to a blockage that changes the flow through the lymphatic system. It can be caused by surgery, damage to the lymph nodes, trauma, infection, certain cancer treatments, deep vein clotting, malignancy and scar tissue.
5 Steps of Lymphedema Therapy Rehabilitation
- We use a gentle massage therapy method, manual lymph drainage (MLD), to manipulate your skin according to the structure of the underlying system.
- To support the pumping action of the muscular system we will apply compression bandaging to decrease fluid accumulation after MLD and break down fibrotic tissues. Your therapist will also teach you self-bandaging techniques if needed.
- You will be instructed on exercises to improve your muscle pumping activity, which will then increase lymphatic fluid movement and flow.
- Skin and nail care will be reviewed and discussed as they’re key to preventing infection.
- You will be given self-care instructions to control the lymphedema. This can involve skin care, self-bandaging, exercising, home pump use, or manual lymphatic drainage you can do yourself.