Traumatic Brain Injury
At North Boulder Physical Therapy, we provide patients with rehabilitation for Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). Defined as damage to the brain which occurs as a result of forces exerted on brain tissues, the most common causes of TBI are falls, blows to the head, and road traffic accidents.
As you know, the brain is the body’s control center, and a traumatic brain injury can have a big impact on your quality of life. Common issues that you may experience include:
- Cognitive – This may be a twofold issue. You may have issues with memory, attention and problem-solving, as well as an impaired understanding of these issues which can be a safety risk.
- Physical – Depending on the injury’s severity, you may have difficulty with movement from your head down to your feet and toes. Issues with balance, gait and more may also be present.
- Sensory – From changes in vision and hearing, to difficulties with balance and body awareness, sensory difficulties could affect your ability and prevent or hinder everyday activities.
Physical Therapy for Traumatic Brain Injury
As a patient of North Boulder Physical Therapy, you’ll first be evaluated to determine deficiencies and problems areas. We’ll review your muscle strength and movement, flexibility, balance, stamina, overall coordination and any pain you might be experiencing. We’ll then develop a personalized plan to treat your symptoms and help you achieve your goals.
Your physical therapist will train and lead you through exercises that will be highly beneficial for your unique circumstances. They can also educate your at-home support system, such as family members, and help you adapt to assistive devices.
Together, you’ll work on improving:
- Muscle/joint strength and flexibility
- Body movement, balance and coordination
- Sitting, standing and walking
- Energy, alertness and endurance
- Returning to daily, functional activities
- Pain and soreness from inactivity
- Returning to sports or a physical lifestyle
If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury, contact North Boulder Physical Therapy to learn more about how we can help you get your life back on track.